”Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
This quote is absolutely relevant in today’s era of surgical training. At Narayana Nethralaya, we are committed to excellence in training the next generation of ophthalmic professionals which is why we offer several different training programs including nationally recognized residency and fellowship
Narayana Nethralaya has trained some of the most highly regarded ophthalmologists in eye care since 2008 and has graduated more than 300. ophthalmologists during that time, with many entering into academic positions.
All of our learners are afforded the opportunity to train in state-of-the-art facilities with a full range of clinical and surgical experience. Most importantly, our learners have the full commitment of the NN faculty to their educational goals.
In addition to these programs, we are also committed to providing quality continuing medical education to local and national eye health professionals. Our CME and CE programs are nationally recognized and cover a wide range of topics.
One of our highest priorities at Narayana Nethralaya is to foster education of the next generation clinicians and clinician-scientists. We offer clinical fellowships in many subspecialties as well as selected research fellowships. We encourage physicians interested in our programs to communicate with their subspecialty fellowship director to discuss career goals.
We offer the Following Fellowship Courses at NN
Narayana Nethralaya Eye Hospital is a tertiary-care superspecialty ophthalmic institute dedicated to providing quality training to professionals in the field of Ophthalmology, the world over. Research and hands-on training are given primary importance, with faculty that are devoted to imparting a thorough knowledge of clinical and surgical skills. With a long lineage of trainees and fellows, now successfully practicing in their respective specialties, Narayana Nethralaya is committed to presenting their students with the best of technology and recent advances to further the mastery of their subject.
Cornea Refractive Fellowship
Phaco- Refractive Fellowship
Paediatric ophthalmology and Strabismus Fellowship
Orbit, Oculoplasty and Ocular Oncology
Vitreo Retina Surgery Fellowship
Uveitis and Medical Retina Fellowship
Fellowship Programmes Under Aegis of RGUHS
Narayana Nethralaya is also affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bengalūru (RGUHS) to conduct skill based fellowships training of 18 Months duration in following sub-specialties of ophthalmology.
- Corneal & Refractive Surgery
- Phaco & Refractive Surgery
- Vitreo Retinal Surgery
- Paediatric Ophthalmology & Strabismus
- Vacancies – RGUHS has allocated 02 seats in each of the sub – specialties
- Basic qualifications – MS/ DNB in Ophthalmology or Diploma in Ophthalmology (DO/ DOMS)
- Admissions are made to these fellowship programmes only once a year (Jul/ Aug) as notified by RGUHS.
- Certificate of fellowship is issued by RGUHS.
- Desirous candidates meeting eligibility criteria are to forward duly filled ‘Application Form’ along with latest resume/ CV to [email protected] (and not to RGUHS).
- Selected candidates will be required to register with RGUHS after paying requisite fees as specified by RGUHS along with original documents. Any short fall in required documents will lead to forfeiture of the candidature.
For any queries NN can be contacted at –
Email : [email protected]
Call : +91 95131 44766 (HR Department)
: +91 96324 19350 (Dr Sriharsha Nagaraj, Academic Director)
Academy of Cataract Emerging Retina Surgery Training (ACER)
With an aim to continue the endeavour of conducting customised training in Phacoemulsification and Vitrectomy procedures, Narayana Nethralaya Bangalore in partnership with Oertli and Toshbro come together for this promising venture.
The centre shall encompass the following:
 Short term Training Program in Phacoemulsification (1 month):
1) Wet Lab training at the proposed NN OERTLI WET LAB.
Here the trainee shall be guided through a wet lab session daily, where he/ she would get to practice steps in Phacoemulsification using the state of the art Oertli Machines and operating microscope .
2) Hands on Phacoemuslification training in the operating room under the guidance of experienced Phaco Instructor, whereby step by step phaco training shall be conducted including subtle nuances and tips to improve outcomes.
3) ICO-OSCAR scoring shall be done on each case based on the ICO-OSCAR SCORING System. This helps in Objective assessment of the trainees progress and specific areas of improvement can be targeted during subsequent training sessions. A complete record shall be handed to the trainee at the end of training for further reference.
4) Post-OR discussions wherein surgical videos may be replayed to make the trainee understand the point at which he/ she was making errors and that particular surgical step can be corrected through the preceptor. Intra-operative complications shall also be discussed at length.
5) Academics shall also be discussed especially surgically relevant topics like Phacodynamics, phacokinetics, surgical anatomy, different IOL choices and so on.
6) Post-training support shall be provided so that the trainee may contact his instructor at Narayana Nethralaya even after the training is completed in case he/she encounters any roadblocks in surgeries or surgical planning. This is generally the support provided to all trainees at Narayana Nethralaya, Bangalore as a good will gesture.
 Short term Training Program in Vitrectomy (3 months):
- Trainees will be given a chance to get accustomed, to the microscope and BIOM and other wide angle viewing systems. Initial surgical experience would include Vitrectomy in the wet lab to help get accustomed to the depth perception and get used to the BIOM and learn to how to focus.
- In the first week all the trainees would be introduced to anatomy of the vitreous and retinal attachment using a wet lab dissection. After the instruction course of vitreous and retinal anatomy, all trainees would attend a second instruction course about the Vitrectomy machine and its settings, how different gauges of vitrectors are different etc.
- After knowing the anatomy and machine settings trainees would be allowed to do Vitrectomy in the wetlab using Oterli Vitrectomy machines
- Where they would doing a guided steps of how to make Vitrectomy ports, Core Vitrectomy, Posterior Hyaloid separation, and peripheral vitrectomy, Fluid gas exchange and endo laser.
- After this, trainees would be allowed to do basic steps of port making, core vitrectomy and depending on the aquired skill customised surgical workshop would be done there after for upto 10 cases.
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR FELLOWS FOR ACER CENTRE
- Applicant should be a certified Doctor in Medicine in his/ her home country
- Applicant should be fluent in English
- Applicant should be pursuing training in ophthalmology or should have completed residency in ophthalmology at a reputed institute
- Applicant should have basic knowledge of operating room practices and etiquette
- It would be better if there is basic surgical experience in ophthalmology
For further details and queries kindly contact : +91-9513144766 (HR DEPARTMENT)