Dr. Raksha Rao
Specialization: Orbit, Oculoplasty and Ocular Oncology
Work Experience: 6 Years
Days & timing of availability for each centre:
NN1: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
(9am – 6pm)
NN3: Monday, Thursday, Saturday
(9am – 6pm)
Dr. Raksha Rao completed her fellowship under the mentorship of Dr Santosh Honavar in Hyderabad and an additional training in ocular oncology as a fellow with Drs Jerry and Carol Shields at Wills Eye Institute, Philadelphia, USA. She has to her credit approximately 30 academic papers in indexed and non-indexed journals and over 25 chapters in national and international text books. Her special interest is in Retinoblastoma and actively participates in its research.
Education & Training
MS from Nair Hospital, Mumbai.
Fellowship in Centre for Sight, Hyderabad and Will’s Eye Hospital, USA
Achievements & Awards
Eye Cancer Grant (ISOO Paris 2015, ISOO Sydney 2017)
C.S Reshmi Award for Best Video (AIOS, 2016)
Sujata Savitri Award for Best Paper in Oculoplasty (AIOS, 2016)
Yasuo Tano Award (APAO, 2017)
Ophthalmic International Hero award (AIOS, 2017)
Best Poster in Ocular Pathology (AIOS, 2018)
Gold medal in Quiz (OPAI, 2018)
Best Paper in Ocular Pathology (AIOS, 2019)
IJO Reviewer Award (AIOS, 2019 and 2020).
Best Paper in External Diseases (AIOS, 2020)
Research & Publications (Number Of Indexed Papers)
1. Rao R, Honavar SG. Recent Developments in Retinoblastoma. DJO. 2016;27:50-61.
2. Harley MR, Rao R, Lally SE, Shields CL. Malignant transformation of multifocal tapioca iris nevus in a child. J AAPOS. 2017;21(4):340-342.
3. Rao R, Honavar SG. Retinoblastoma. Indian J Pediatr. 2017;84(12):937-944.
4. Rao R, Honavar SG, Sharma V, Reddy VAP. Intravitreal topotecan in the management of refractory and recurrent vitreous seeds in retinoblastoma. Br J Ophthalmol. 2017 Aug 26. [Epub ahead of print].
5. Rao R, Pointdujour-Lim R, Ganguly A, Shields CL. Multifocal Choroidal Melanoma in a patient with Germline BRCA-Associated Protein 1 Mutation. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2018;12(1):1-4.
6. Rao R, Ali Y, Nagesh CP, Nair U. Unilateral isolated superior ophthalmic vein thrombosis. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018;66(1):155-157.
7. Rao R, Honavar SG, Padua M, Mulay K, Reddy VAP. Non-contiguous spread of palpebral conjunctival melanoma to the nasolacrimal duct. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018;66(2):302-303.
8. Rao R, Turkoglu E, Say ET, Shields CL. Natural history, clinical and EDI-OCT features of Myelinated Retinal Nerve Fibre Layer. Retina. 2018 Feb 13. (E-pub ahead of publication).
9. Rao R, Honavar SG, Mulay K, Reddy VAP. Eye salvage in diffuse anterior retinoblastoma using systemic chemotherapy with periocular and intravitreal topotecan. JAAPOS. 2018;22(3):235-237.e2.
10. Welch RJ, Rao R, Gordon PS, Say EAT, Shields CL. Optical Coherence Tomography of Small Retinoblastoma. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol (Phila). 2018. 2018;7(5):301-306.
11. Lally SE, Rao R, Shields JA, Shields CL. Comparison of Posterior Lamellar Resection with Non-Posterior Lamellar Resection in Patients with Localized Tarsal Conjunctival Sebaceous Carcinoma in 54 patients. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018;66(9):1295-1300.
12. Sthapit P, Rao R, Honavar SG. Periocular Topotecan for Vitreous Seeds in Retinoblastoma. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018;66(12):1833-1838.
13. Rao R, Honavar SG, Reddy VP. Preservation of retinoblastoma group E eyes with neovascular glaucoma using intravenous chemotherapy: risk factors and outcomes.Br J Ophthalmol. 2019;103(12):1856-1861.
14. Rao R, Honavar SG, Mulay K, Reddy VAP. Primary orbital low-grade fibromyxoid sarcoma – A case report. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2019;67(4):568-570.
15. Thirumalesh MB, Rao R, Dudeja G. Persistent fetal vasculature feeding a retinoblastoma. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2019;67(6):951.
16. Mishra D, Bhushan P, Sinha BP, Bhaskar G, Rao R. External dacryocystorhinostomy conventional surgery versus Pawar implant: A comparative study. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2019;67(7):1143-1147.
17. Rao R, Honavar SG, Mulay K. Primary lacrimal gland teratoma in an adult: A clinicopathologic and radiological correlation. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2019;67(7):1238-1240.
18. Rao R, Honavar SG, Mulay K. Multifocal choroidal melanoma in oculodermal melanocytosis in an Asian Indian. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2019;67(12):2089-2091.
19. Shields CL, Bas Z, Tadepalli S, Dalvin LA, Rao R, Schwendeman R, et al. Long-term (20-year) real-world outcomes of intravenous chemotherapy (chemoreduction) for retinoblastoma in 964 eyes of 554 patients at a single centre. Br J Ophthalmol. 2020;104(11):1548-1555
20. Dalvin LA, Bas Z, Tadepalli S, Rao R, et al. Risk Factors for Tumor Recurrence Following Primary Intravenous Chemotherapy (Chemoreduction) for Retinoblastoma in 869 Eyes of 551 Patients. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2020;57(4):224-234.
21. Rao R, Shetty AP, Nagesh CP. Orbital infarction syndrome secondary to rhino-orbital mucormycosis in a case of COVID-19: Clinico-radiological features. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2021 ;69(6):1627-1630.