The Pediatric Ophthalmology service of Narayana Nethralaya has started with a noble aim of bringing back a smile to a child’s face. Over the years the department has grown to be a major referral centre for pediatric eye disorders. At present, this service involves not only diagnosis and management of various facets of pediatric eye disorders like refractive error, childhood cataract, glaucoma, amblyopia, squint, retinal disorders, congenital anomalies, pediatric eye cancer etc.. but also adult patients with squint/ double vision problems. The department provides appropriate therapeutic intervention for all stages of retinopathy of prematurity, a blinding disease of the premature newborn.
Currently, the department is actively involved in various community ophthalmology projects like Pavagada Pediatric eye disease study, Smart School Screening, Slum 10K project, KIDROP study to help the weaker section addressing eye related issues of their child.
Today we see nearly 100 pediatric patients per day and perform close to 50 eye surgeries every month.
The facility available includes a comprehensive array of tests and therapy:
- visual acuity screening systems applicable to all age groups, pre verbal and pre school inclusive [Teller acuity charts, Stereoopticals, USA; Smart system PC II Plus, M&S Technology, IL, USA; Sheridan Gardiner charts; HOTV charts; Lea symbol charts, Optokinetic drum].
- Fixation targets for distance and near & accommodative near targets.
- Prisms (Fresnel prisms, Luneau loose and prism bars).
- Worth Four dots Test torch for near and distance.
- Bagolini’s glasses.
- Stereoacuity charts (Titmus Fly test, Random dot test, Lang’s test).
- Neutral density bar.
- Contrast sensitivity tests.
- Color vision charts (D-15 test, HRR test, Ishiara’s pseudoisochromatic test).
In addition the genetics and the metabolic laboratory backup ensure excellent diagnostic and research potential. The pediatric ophthalmology wing at both Narayana Nethralaya I and Narayana Nethralaya II at health city provides a very child friendly ambience with a play area and a reading room for older children. Of note is the nappy and diaper changing room, the restrooms made especially keeping children in mind as well as the feeding room that caters to the needs of the very small infants and newborns. (Virtual Video Later). Besides, we have a dedicated, state of art operating room for pediatric eye surgery with microscopes, vitrectomy machines etc. and sophisticated instruments for various surgeries like:
- Correction of vertical and horizontal squints.
- Glaucoma surgeries like trabeculotomy, trabeculectomy, drainage implants.
- Simple and complicated pediatric retinal surgeries.
- Cataract (cataract surgery with or without primary posterior capsulotomy and/ or IOL implantation).
- Endoscopic and external dacryocystorhinostomy with or without intubation for dacryocystitis & probing for pediatric nasolacrimal duct obstruction.
- Evisceration for cosmetic correction with ocular prosthesis fitting.
- Enucleation with implants and a comprehensive management of retinoblastomas (like cryotherapy, TTT, chemotherapy).
- Childhood eye injuries.
- Minor procedures like foreign body removal and chalazion etc.
Using the expertise of excellent anesthesiologists at Narayana Hrudayalaya, Narayana Health city, where major pediatric cardiac surgeries are performed, we are equipped to perform ocular surgeries with ease in newborns especially those with multisystem ailments and at a very early age.
Pediatric Ophthalmology service is actively involved in research, teaching and training. It is proactive in conducting screening schools camps all around Bangalore and also exclusively caters to the needs of the underprivileged children of our society offering them the same quality of eye care which is their right for no cost at all.
In short, all the possible diagnostic and treatment facilities are made available to the children of all strata under a single roof.
Doctors of Pediatric Ophthalmolgy & Strabismus
Dr. K Vasudha
Dr. M Bhanumathi
Dr. Richa Sharma
Dr. Jyoti Matalia
Dr. Pratibha Panmand
Dr. Varsha Tamrakar